Fantasy Surprises Week 1

Well it was a surprising week. Who would have predicted that Mark Clayton would score 22 point in a PPR league. He had 119 yards and 10 receptions. I did write a piece saying I thought Clayton would become the number 1 in STL. I never thought it would have happened after week 1. I would green light a Clayton pickup off waivers at this point. Bradford has realized that he is a receiver of value.

Well on on STL bandwagon AC Slater pointed out that Danny Amendola had 15 points in PPR (67 ReYd, 22 IKRYd, 28 IPRYd, 6 Recpt). Not bad considering it was Bradford’s first game.

Mike Thomas of JAX outplayed MSW by scoring 16 points to MSW’s ZERO points (89 ReYd, 26 IPRYd, 6 Recpt). SO AGAIN with annoyance I acknowledge AC and say that Mike Thomas is also worth a pickup.

Hakeem Nicks was a beast this week. He outplayed Steve Smith. He scored nearly 30 points in PPR (75 ReYd, 3 ReTD (26,19,5), 4 Recpt).

Another SHOCKER was Austin Collie. We all know who he is but we always assumed he would score less then Wayne and Garcon. I’m a sell high man and I believe this was a one week wonder. Collie scored nearly 30 points in PPR (131 ReYd, ReTD (73), 10 Recpt) so move him for value immediately.

Jordan Shipley also played well in garbage time for Cincy recording 13 points in garbage play (82 ReYd, 5 Recpt).

Brandon Tate (who I wrote an article about in the preseason) also had a fantastic game for NE scoring 21 points in PPR (36 ReYd, IKRTD (97), 184 IKRYd, 4 IPRYd, 4 Recpt). If he is out there on waivers he is also worth a pickup. Especially if your team rewards you for special team play.

There a 2-3 QB’s I also like off waivers this week but alas I can not reveal them until after Wednesday. I have been forsaken with injuries. I lost BOTH Stafford and Kolb in one league and I lost Kolb in another (of course in that league I don’t have a backup QB).  If you are dying to know email me directly from the “contact us” page and I will give you my thoughts.

If you played my recommendations you did a-ok. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Tim Hightower didn’t have the monster game I expected but he did have 15 points in a classic PPR system. Gaffney put up 12 points in PPR. My lone disappointment was Johnny Knox who only managed 8 points in PPR. My defenses did ok as well. Arizona put up 16 points (3 Int, DFR, 2 SACK, BFB, 13 DPA) and the Titans put up 12 points (Int, DFR, 4 SACK, 13 DPA). Not bad for defense matchup plays.

I will run throw the box scores today and watch NFL rewind. I will bring more obscure pickups as the week progresses. For those of you who won, congrats! For those who lost this is just week 1. I have always said week 1 is an odd week so don’t yet panic and trade away Jonathan Stewart- which I almost did 🙂

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Fantasy Sports Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

15 Responses to “Fantasy Surprises Week 1”

1. JS says:

Clayton’s surprise numbers, while they are surprising there is a connection (no, not they both went to Oklahoma) between Bradford and him that most do not know about…they actually worked out together before Clayton was with the Rams

If you are in a keeper league I couldn’t agree more with grabbing Tate. It doesn’t look like New England wants to sign Moss and Tate will benefit big time if that is the case.

MSW, Ray Rice, and DJAX were my busts of the yr based on ADP.

Have Mike Thomas in my one league so like that call AC. Think he outperforms MSW this yr in PPR format.

• The Fantasy Flukie says:

JS you totally got me on this one. I had no idea that Bradford and Clayton worked out together. This makes total sense as to why the Rams traded for him once they could not secure VJAX. I grabbed him in my keeper league I hope his numbers to continue to hold up. I’m not gonna start him this week but if he has another good week he may start as my flex player.

I have said this for 6 months now. NE WILL NOT SIGN either Welker or Moss. I give them credit they know what they are doing. Tate will replace Moss and Edelman will replace Welker. They committed to Brady so they are not going to pony up big dough for WRs as well.

MSW may be a bust but I have NO DOUBTS that Djax and Rice will recover…hang tight.

Mike Thomas….ahhh I can’t stand this man…..but for 1 week he gets cred…we will see about week 2 once teams make adjustments.

2. A C Slater says:

Hey Fluckie Devin Aromshundu is for real. He lead all Chicago receivers with yards( 70 ) and targets ( 10 ) and had 5 receptions. Devin Hester sucks. Johnny Knoxjury is still out.

3. The Fantasy Flukie says:

AC I haven’t waivered and still won’t….Knox is the number 1. Let’s not get tooooooooo carried away bout 1 week. Doc agrees with u over at razzball…. Doc’s quote:

Danny Amendola: He was targeted 9 times and made 6 receptions for 67 yards. I think he will be the most consistent Rams receiver and is worth owning in most PPR leagues. Bradford made plenty of mistakes, but also looked good enough to keep drives moving and receivers in targets.

—gotta admit Doc and I have battled over WRs b4 and I usually win…… edge Clayton…

• The Fantasy Flukie says:

Amendola and Arommmmaaaaablllaaahhh got me mixed up for a sec….

Doc’s thoughts at Razzball:

Devin Hester: It looked like Aromashodu and Knox were Cutler’s main targets with 10 and 7 targets respectively, while Hester had a big fat 1. Well, that’s pretty skinny actually, so a small, skinny, decrepit 1. I still think Knox will end up as the main guy, but this is a good sign for Aroma. And poor Hester? I’m on the fence. If they put him in the slot I think he could be more valuable, but we’ll have to see. In Martz’s offense Hester still has upside.

—my thoughts? I still think Knox is the #1…..but i gotta admit if things get tough Aromashodu may be a legit play in PPR……but KNox is still the #1 WR and a deep threat….it’s a poor man’s RAndy Moss….and Aromablalhlbalh is a poor man’s Wes Welker….both lead to success..

4. JS says:

Starting to agree with AC a bit more here. I have aromshundumowitz on my dynasty team. I think he will eventually be the top guy in Chi. In all honesty though in a MM offense there is rm for two top WRs on a team cause they throw so much. Both him and Knox could both put up nice numbers this year.

I am not saying that DJAX or Rice will not have good years, I am just saying that they will not live up to their ADP. I think maclin steals away more from DJAX than people think and I think Rice’s catch totals get cut in half because they will open up the offense and the natural progression of Flacco to now have the confidence not to dump off the check down pass. We shall see.

5. RXP says:

Question

Would you trade

Rice
    Eli Manning
    Jacoby Jones

For Ryan Mathews
    Jamal Charles
    Steve Smith (CAR)

Also, Flukie e-mail which QB’s you like off waivers.
    Thanks.

• RXP says:

Just So you where I sit w/ my team in a ppr league

Qb: Rivers, Manning
      WR: R.Moss, R.Wayne, M.Wallace, M.Williams(Sea), Garcon and Jacoby Jones.
      RB:McCoy, Ray Rice, J. Stewart and C. Williams
      TE: VS

Try and make this trade or stay pat. Looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.

• The Fantasy Flukie says:

@RXP: I make the trade if you can pull it off. Charles played well last night and will continue to get more looks as the season continues. He is just too talentd of a back not to play.

You are trading a backup QB in Eli Manning, a possible #2 Jcoby Jones on a pass first team, and a straight up stud in Ray Rice coming off a bad week….

You are getting Charles in Charge who is on his way UP UP UP…Ryan Matthews who looked ok in his first game. He is the ONLY back in SD that is worth his grain in salt. Tolbert may steal a goal line here and there but nothing major….

It comes down to Steve Smith CAR – do you believe in him with a rookie QB? tough tough call…

I’m slightly concerned about R Rice losing touches with the offense progressing w. Boldin…. So it might be time to cut and run quick….

I say PULL the trigger….but I always consult two ppl first…let’s ask Scott P PAchman his opinion….he is my tie break? Scotty to hottie?

• RXP says:

Should ask for Best instead of Mathews since I am in a ppr league?

6. JS says:

I am not scotty to hottie but I agree with flukie here. To me it is a no brainer.

You are giving up 1 starter in the deal and getting mulitple. Manning is your back up, J Jones is your 3 at best and maybe your 5, and Rice is your starter and true tier 1 RB. Depending on how many you can start at each position you are getting 2 definite starters and possibly 3 out of the deal. While Rice is good you are replacing him with Mathews and Charles who are both solid number 1 capable RBs and Steve Smith becomes your number 3 WR. Not only do you gain starters you gain excellent depth to overcome injuries or make more deals later down the line to fully stack your team heading into playoffs.

7. curse says:

hey fluckie,,,
    i also have kolb and stafford , and some degenerate picked up vick on waivers boy am i flucked….help me with this QB dilema

8. The Fantasy Flukie says:

I’m high on two people this week. Hasselback for the one week is a decent play vs OAK…

But my crazy pick that most ppl wont realize is Josh Freeman. He put up 20+ points in his first week. With TB having to throw early and often to stay in the game I really feel that Freeman will put up solid numbers all year. He has some promising young receivers….you may have to live through some INTs…and a little erractic play…but all and all I feel Freeman is a QB you can start the rest of the way. I put my money where my mouth is and I am starting him in BOTH of the leagues where I lost Kolb. Freeman is playing at Carolina. They are away but Carolina is starting a rookie QB. This is going to TB more time with the ball 🙂 I’m sure the ND product (Jimmy Clausen) will make his fair share of mistakes…

9. curse says:

fluckie i think great minds think alike I too am high on freeman, i also have mike williams in all my keeper leagues ,,,,thanks for the input or should i say the push over the edge to add freeman,,,it was him or garrard but rather b putting the money in some bimbo’s g-string thanks dude

10. curse says:

hey if this is worth anything my friend is on atlanta O-line his name is tyson clabo ,,,he said be ready for a turner to take off this week expect a huge game ,,,,,,lol i told him please no false starts