Buckin’ Broncos – A Fantasy Maze

The Broncos injuries are completely out of control. This leads to a fantasy maze for players. I was high on the Bronco fantasy players going into 2010. I am now running from all players except Jabar Gaffney. You can draft him late in most leagues. I have him ranked 99th. Gaffney has a good chance to put up low WR1 high WR2 numbers. Many of you will feel that this is overzealous. I think not. He showed his potential at the end of 2009.

Eddie Royal is more of a z-receiver who is in the mold of Devin Hester (pre #1 WR days), Josh Cribbs, and Percy Harvin. This leaves Demaryius Thomas who is dealing with “torn scar tissue” in his foot. Most rookies don’t make an impact on day one and I don’t see Demaryius breaking the trend. The only rookie WR that has a shot at making an impact starting the year is Golden Tate SEA (before you all start to berate me Dez Bryant will make a difference this year but not till week 4 or 5).

I was high on Eric Decker but he has also been hit with the injury bug. He is also a rookie and I have to retract my earlier writing with regards to his upside. Decker may bounce back and have value in 2011 but this year is lost. Brandon Stokley is another intriguing WR in Denver. As of today Gaffney is the 1, Royal is the 2, and Stokley is the 3. I would draft Gaffney and leave Stokley and Royal on the board.

As for the RB situation I am leery of Knowshon Moreno and would avoid him if possible. Yes, he should be ready by week one but a hamstring injury can linger and hurt a player’s explosiveness. Granted, if Moreno falls to round 4 or 5 I would still grab him. Buckhalter has value if Moreno can’t go. As for Lendale White and Justin Fargas they have ZERO value.

Bottom line – Gaffney is a great late pick. Moreno is of value in round 4 or 5. Buckhalter may be worth grabbing in rounds 14-16.

Tomorrow I’ll give ya a quick look at the Bills fantasy players that have value and give you some insight into auction league strategies.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Fantasy Sports Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

8 Responses to “Buckin’ Broncos – A Fantasy Maze”

1. Seth Pollock says:

Jabar Gaffney a “low WR1, high WR2”???

If this prediction comes true, I will be seriously be singing your praises, but my magic 8-ball says, “not bloody likely.”

2. The Fantasy Flukie says:

Seth am I that far off? I think not…here are some fantasy football pundits…

fftoolbox “In whole, Jabar Gaffney provides the best value from Denver’s wide receivers in fantasy drafts. Among himself, Thomas and Eddie Royal, you can get Gaffney latest. And he’s preparing as if he’ll start the season as Kyle Orton’s No. 1 option. That role is certainly open”

fantasyknuckleheads “There are not many teams where a third or fourth WR have the chance to step up and be the team’s #1 guy, but in Denver, Gaffney has the opportunity, the desire, and the backing of his coaches, including Josh McDaniels who has all but called Gaffney the team’s starting wideout. So while people are leaping on Thomas and to a lesser extent, Royal, take a chance on Gaffney. He’s being drafted on average 5 picks later than his teammate Tim Tebow who won’t even play this season, and Terrell Owens, who is unemployed at the moment. Gaffney may well be the steal of your fantasy draft”

allvoices “•Gaffney on the other had as the numbers above show, outperformed Royal. He started 5 less games but had eight more targets, and more important, he turned over 60% of those into receptions compared to Royal’s sub .500 stats. Gaffney more than doubled Royal’s yardage and had two TDs to Eddie’s goose egg.
    •Nobody caught more than Gaffney’s 21 receptions or picked up more than his 282 receiving yards over the final two weeks of last season.
    •Gaffney wants to be the team’s go to guy. He wants to be #1 in Denver. When asked about this desire to take last season’s final two weeks and propel himself into the team’s #1 receiver role ”

So Sethy…. my pick as Gaffney as a low WR1 high WR2 is based in fantasy fact not fiction.

3. The Fantasy Flukie says:

almost forgot

fantasyfootballhelp ” Factor in that Gaffney used to play with coach McDaniel’s in New England and he has completely bought into his offensive system, I look for a lot of passes to come his way in 2010 and the beauty of it is Gaffney will not be on fantasy radar screens come draft time. You can probably get him in the last round or two of your draft and risk nothing”

4. Seth Pollock says:

#1 WR on Denver this year does not necessarily = #1 WR on a FF squad.

I like Gaffney late in drafts and think he does have potential, I just feel predicting him to be a #1 fantasy WR is a stretch. Saying he “provides the best value” or “you can get him in the last round or 2 of your draft and risk nothing” are not the same as saying he could be a #1 or #2 fantasy WR.

Bottom line, Gaffney is a great late round pick, but don’t set your expectations higher than that and reach for him.

5. The Fantasy Flukie says:

Gaffney will be a low WR1 high WR2 in fantasy play. Think about it Seth. They don’t have any RBs at the moment. McDaniels is from the Patriots system – they pass the ball!

Seth – want to side bet? Gaffney will outperform Mike Sims Walker….u in?

6. Seth Pollock says:

I would hardly say the Broncos have no running backs when they have Knowshon Moreno.

YES, he’s currently recovering from an injury, but the experts say he’ll be back for the last 2 weeks of preseason. He may not be 100% by start of the season, but if he can get healthy, they’ll have a good run game.

That would actually help your boy Gaffney, since they’ll be able to set up the pass better.

As for the side bet, I’m in since I love me some MSW this year. He’s working on the last year of his rookie contract and looking for a new one.

7. A C Slater says:

Seth if Moreno did not play well last year what makes you think he will play better this year? Last time I checked Denver did not draft new Offensive Linemen.

8. Seth Pollock says:

My point was that the Flukie said the Broncos have NO running game, which is not true.

Also, A.C., Moreno had a pretty decent rookie season (947 rushing yards on 247 carries averaging 3.8 yards per carry) splitting carries with Buckhalter. This season he will take on the #1 RB role for which he was drafted. The loss of Marshall and the hamstring injury could hamper him in the beginning, but I still say Moreno will improve on last year’s numbers.

Also, the Broncos just picked up Justin Fargas to help out the run game, so to say the Broncos have NO running game is just not accurate.